Activity 1: The Battle of Jericho
Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story, "The Battle of Jericho"
- Leader Resource 1, Joshua, Rahab, and the Battle of Jericho Background Information
- Leader Resource 2, Ark of the Covenant Picture
Preparation for Activity
- Print the story and practice reading it aloud.
- Print Leader Resource 1, Joshua, Rahab, and the Battle of Jericho Background Information, and prepare to briefly present the information. Make copies for interested participants to take home.
- Print a copy of Leader Resource 2, Ark of the Covenant Picture.
Description of Activity
Using the information in Leader Resource 1, Joshua, Rahab, and the Battle of Jericho Background Information, briefly set the stage for the story. Keep the background information brief, and offer copies of Leader Resource 1 to those who wish to take it home.
Explain that this story talks about the Ark of the Covenant, a large decorated box that carried stone tablets inscribed with Hebrew laws said to have been written by God. Show Leader Resource 2, Ark of the Covenant Picture, and explain that according to the Bible, this is what the Ark of the Covenant looked like. Say, "In this story, God is a mighty battle God who makes sure that the Hebrews defeat the people of Jericho and take over the city."
Read the story aloud.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.