You Are Here
Activity 2: Story - The Caican Water Project
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story "The Caican Water Project"
- Leader Resource 1, Aquifer
- Optional: Model aquifer from Workshop 5, Alternate Activity 2, Make an Aquifer in a Cup
Preparation for Activity
- Familiarize yourself with the story.
- Print at least one copy of Leader Resource 1.
Description of Activity
Gather participants. Show and pass around the leader resource; explain it is a picture of an aquifer, an area of earth and rock that contains or moves water. If the group has done Workshop 5, Alternate Activity 2, Make an Aquifer in a Cup, display a model aquifer and remind the group how water moves and how contamination moves with the water.
Read or tell the story. Then, process with these questions:
- Do you think any of the people in this story believe that each person is important? What did they do that makes you think so?
- Why was it important to ask so many villagers their opinions? Why not just ask the people who attended the meetings?
- Do you think it was wise to take so much time to plan how the village was going to improve the water situation? Wouldn't it have been a better idea for Rev. Mike's congregation to just pay for the new well without any involvement from the villagers? Why/why not?
- What can we learn from the villagers about working together? What do you think the villagers taught others about working as a community?
- What do you think the congregants in Hawaii thought about their contribution of money for the new well?
- How does it feel to give?
- Does this story inspire you to do anything new or different in your life? What?