Closing (10 minutes), Session 2: Awesome Love
In "Love Will Guide Us," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 2, Source Star — Our Sense of Wonder
- Pencils or markers
- Taking It Home
- Optional: Session 1, Handout 3, Our Sources Lyrics
- Optional: A recording of the song "Our Sources" and a music player
Preparation for Activity
- Print out Leader Resource 2, Source Star — Our Sense of Wonder. Copy for all participants, plus one to place on the Night Sky display. Cut out the stars.
- Write the words for the first UU Source on newsprint, and post.
- Download, adapt, and copy Taking It Home for all participants (or plan to email it to all families after the session).
- Optional: Prepare to teach and lead the song "Our Sources."
- Copy Session 1, Handout 3, Our Sources Lyrics, or write the words on newsprint, and post. Plan to store handouts or newsprint for re-use.
- Learn the song so you can teach it to the group. Listen to the song online to familiarize yourself with it. You might invite a member of the choir or someone in the congregation comfortable leading songs to learn the song with you and help you.
Description of Activity
Gather the children at work tables. Invite them each to decorate a Source Star to take home and share with their family. You might suggest they draw something "awesome" in nature they talked about today. As children work, attach one star that says "We learn from Our Sense of Wonder" to the Night Sky.
When children are done, gather them in a circle. Say, in your own words:
Today we talked about things we see, hear, or touch in nature that can make us feel awe and wonder. We made stories of our own experiences. Our own, personal feeling inside of awe and wonder is one of our Unitarian Universalist Sources that points us to love.
Indicate the first Source words you have posted on newsprint. Invite the children to follow along quietly as you read aloud:
Our Unitarian Universalist beliefs come from the sense of wonder we all share.
Invite volunteers to give an example of what that Source means. You might ask:
- When you see or hear or touch something awesome in nature, how does that make you feel? What kind of love does that make you think of?
If you wish to sing "Our Sources," distribute Session 1, Handout 3 or indicate the newsprint where you have posted the lyrics. Teach/lead the song, with a musical volunteer if you have invited someone to help. You might play the music clip of "Our Sources" for the children to sing along.
Distribute Taking It Home and thank participants.
Save the Night Sky display and the handouts/newsprint to use next time.
Including All Participants
At this age, children have a wide range of reading ability. Do not put individual children on the spot to read aloud.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources