Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Worship or centering table and chalice
- A bell or chime
- Handout 1, Responsive Reading
- Taking It Home handout
- Optional: Handout 2, Social Justice Resources
Preparation for Activity
- Customize the Taking It Home section of this workshop and copy for participants.
- Copy Handout 1, Responsive Reading and (optional) Handout 2, Social Justice Resources for all participants.
Description of Activity
Ring the bell or chime and invite everyone into a moment of silence to reflect on the most important thing they are taking away from program. Tell them it can be anything: a story, a song, a sense of connection, a new learning, or a curiosity for further study. After about a minute of silence, invite each participant in turn to share briefly, reminding them that they may pass.
Distribute Handout 1 and lead participants in the responsive reading; invite them to respond to your reading of the plain text by reading aloud the text in italics.
Invite a participant to come forward and extinguish the chalice as you say these words: "As we extinguish this chalice, may we let the light of our tradition kindle our hope for a better world."
Encourage participants to continue to use their journal for reflection.
If you have made copies of Handout 2, Social Justice Resources, distribute it along with Taking It Home.
For more information contact email@example.com.