Activity time: 15 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Worship or centering table and chalice
- A bell or chime
- Handout 1, Responsive Reading
- Taking It Home handout
- Optional: Handout 2, Social Justice Resources
Preparation for Activity
- Customize the Taking It Home section of this workshop and copy for participants.
- Copy Handout 1, Responsive Reading and (optional) Handout 2, Social Justice Resources for all participants.
Description of Activity
Ring the bell or chime and invite everyone into a moment of silence to reflect on the most important thing they are taking away from program. Tell them it can be anything: a story, a song, a sense of connection, a new learning, or a curiosity for further study. After about a minute of silence, invite each participant in turn to share briefly, reminding them that they may pass.
Distribute Handout 1 and lead participants in the responsive reading; invite them to respond to your reading of the plain text by reading aloud the text in italics.
Invite a participant to come forward and extinguish the chalice as you say these words: "As we extinguish this chalice, may we let the light of our tradition kindle our hope for a better world."
Encourage participants to continue to use their journal for reflection.
If you have made copies of Handout 2, Social Justice Resources, distribute it along with Taking It Home.