Activity 1: Covenant
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Prepare a list of the elements of covenant you would like to suggest as the facilitator. You might consider:
- Start and end on time.
- Practice respectful dialogue.
- Honor diversity of opinion and approach.
- If you desire confidentiality, ask for it.
- Share the floor.
- Be mindful of the time.
- Learn something new.
- Nurture your spirit.
- Prepare two sheets of newsprint with the title "How We Agree To Be With Each Other." Post the first sheet of newsprint.
Description of Activity
Explain that behavioral covenants are a foundational aspect of liberal congregations, and that establishing a covenant will remind the group that these workshops invite us to grow, not just in knowledge, but also in faith and in our understanding of one another.
Invite participants to suggest guidelines for how they will be with one another during the program. Write all suggestions on the posted newsprint. After participant suggestions are exhausted, add any additional items from the list you prepared in advance.
Ask participants if there are any items listed about which they have concerns. Discuss those items and decide as a group whether to keep, modify, or eliminate them.
Post the second sheet of newsprint and rewrite the agreed-on items. Read the covenant aloud and ask for verbal assent from each participant.
Save the written covenant to post in future sessions.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.