Preparation (Tapestry of Faith)
In "," a Tapestry of Faith program
The primary activity for this retreat is each person's presentation of their Odyssey. Following the presentations, participants will reflect on their Odyssey writing experience and begin to consider their list of "things I don't want to leave undone."
Read the plans for the entire weekend retreat. Where there are options, select the best one for your High Hill group. Here are some additional ideas for creating a celebratory atmosphere:
- The first High Hill group invited participants to bring photographs of themselves at different ages. These were posted on a workshop Wall of Fame, with no names to identify them. Participants had great fun seeing the many faces and trying to identify the owners of those younger faces. Some proved to be a mystery, and the group took much time guessing. There was laughter all around at long straight hair, Afros, tie-dyes and bellbottoms, and the little black dresses and narrow neckties!
- If each participant has been asked to bring a recording of a song that represents them, you might play the songs throughout the retreat. The songs may also be played before, during, or at the end of each person's Odyssey. You might have a time when each participant presents their song, or incorporate songs into worship services during the retreat.
- Include worship at the beginning of the retreat and at its close. Consider using simple readings for all times of parting and gathering during the retreat. Pay special attention to planning a closing worship for the weekend. Gather any readings, aesthetic objects, and music you will need.
Plan the Odyssey presentation schedule. Each participant will need 45 minutes to present, and a half hour for questions. Additionally, plan 15-minute intervals between presentations, so there is ample time to clear the space and set it up for the next presentation. Schedule the mealtimes, worship services, breaks, and post-Odyssey activities, then prepare an agenda to post.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Saturday, December 10, 2011.
- Resistance and Transformation
- Faith like a River
- Building the World We Dream About
- The New UU
- Moves Us
- Harvest the Power
- Principled Commitment
- Spirit of Life Revised
- Spirit in Practice
- From The High Hill
- About the Author(s)
- Chapter 1 - Getting Started
- Chapter 2 - First Two Day Retreat: A Guide for Facilitators
- Chapter 3 - Odyssey Writing: A Guide for Participants
- Chapter 4 - Second Two-Day Retreat: A Guide for Facilitators
- Chapter 5 - Congregational Service of Recognition
- Chapter 6 - Glimpses of Stories from the First High Hill Group
- Chapter 7 - Resources