How do we count non-member Friends?
Beyond the number of members your congregation certifies annually, how many "friends" do you have—people who might identify as Unitarian Universalist (UU) but are not reported as members? This includes people involved in the congregation who prefer not to join.
The Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) is looking for a way to measure how many non-members benefit from the services that our congregations provide. We want to know how we can reach out to those who are not necessarily formal members of our congregations, but who identify with our faith and values.
- attendees at concerts, meals, or other events sponsored by the congregation
- children of congregation members who are off at college
- college students who are in a campus ministry group that your congregation sponsors
- retired members who have moved away, but continue to get your newsletter
- non-member couples and families who have used your building for marriages and memorial services
- attendees at events for which another organization has rented your building
- families whose children go to a pre-school program in your building and have no other connection with the congregation
Do you have to know that these people think of themselves as UUs? No. For purposes of this statistic, assume that there is an affection for, or identity with, Unitarian Universalism if people use the services of the congregation. When in doubt, include them!
Please base your estimated number on a recent twelve-month period of time, preferrably January-December 2012.
Note: This number will not be used to calculate your Annual Program Fund (APF) contribution to the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA).
For more information contact data_services @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Monday, November 12, 2012.
- Data Services Request Center
- Privacy/ Data Security Policy
- Related Organizations
- UUA Committees
- Certifying Membership
- Congregational Poll
- Submitting Membership Numbers Online
- What is Certification of Membership?
- No Internet Access
- Forgotten Password
- Certification Deadlines
- Making Changes to Certified Data
- Definition of Membership
- Religious Education Enrollment
- Average Weekly Attendance
- Non-member Friends
- Time Period
- Total Operating Expenses
- Confirming Your Certified Status
- Certified Data Online
- Contact Information
- my.UUA.org Accounts
- Membership List
- Elected Board and Staff
- Certifying Membership