Professional Music Leadership
Music Leadership Certification
In February 2013, the Music Leadership Credentialing Program was renamed the Music Leadership Certification Program. You may still see "credentialing" on some of our documents. Those who entered the program prior to 2013 were designated Credentialed Music Leaders upon completion, while newer candidates become Certified Music Leaders.
The Music Leadership Certification Program (MLCP) is a unique, three-year program that:
- Summons music leaders to their calling of music ministry,
- Enriches their service to Unitarian Universalist congregations, and
- Enhances their professional perspective and skills.
Through the certification program, music leaders in our congregations develop a foundational understanding of three main areas of knowledge:
- Music skills and resources,
- UU heritage and values, and
- Leadership and interpersonal skills.
The Music Leadership Certification Program is administered by the Music Leadership Certification Committee (MLCC) of the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) in collaboration with the Unitarian Universalist Musicians Network (UUMN).
Program Information and Resources
- MLCP Requirements
- The Curriculum
- The Triad
- Portfolio Path (PDF) (formerly Tenure Track)
This version of the program is no longer open to new applicants.
- Application Form - due annually on March 15th.
- Philosophy of Music as Ministry Form (Word) (PDF)
- Criminal Offense Disclosure Form (Word)
Greetings! Our goal is to help sustain robust, transformative faith communities by ensuring that our professional musicians and religious educators are well-equipped and theologically grounded.
We are pleased to offer advice and resources to congregations and professionals on matters relating to music and religious education leadership and transitions.
Please contact us with your program questions or other professional music leadership concerns. mlcertification [at] uua [dot] org