Readings: “Anyone's Ministry”
Also appropriate as Meditation Manuals
- a quality of relationship between and among
that beckons forth hidden possibilities;
- inviting people into deeper, more constant
more reverent relationship with the world
and with one another;
- carrying forward a long heritage of hope and
liberation that has dignified and informed
the human venture over many centuries;
- being present with, to, and for others
in their terrors and torments
in their grief, misery and pain;
- knowing that those feelings
are our feelings, too;
- celebrating the triumphs of the human spirit,
the miracles of birth and life,
the wonders of devotion and sacrifice;
- witnessing to life-enhancing values;
speaking truth to power;
- speaking for human dignity and equity,
for compassion and aspiration;
- believing in life in the presence of death;
struggling for human responsibility
against principalities and structures
that ignore humaneness and become
instruments of death.
It is all these and much, much more than all of
them, present in
- the wordless,
- the unspoken,
- the ineffable.
It is speaking and living the highest we know
and living with the knowledge that it is
- never as deep, or as wide
or a high as we wish.
Whenever there is a meeting
that summons us to our better selves, wherever
- our lostness is found,
- our fragments are united,
- our wounds begin healing,
- our spines stiffen and
- our muscles grow strong for the task,
there is ministry.
Singing in the Night: Collected Meditations, Vol. 5 edited by Mary Benard. Skinner House, 2004.
Copyright: The author has given Unitarian Universalist Association member congregations permission to reprint this piece for use in public worship. Any reprints must acknowledge the name of the author.
For more information contact email@example.com.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, February 27, 2013.
- Words for Worship
- Chalice Lightings
- Meditations & Prayers
- Complete Services
- Ceremonies & Rituals
- Ministers' Columns
- Holidays & Ceremonies
- Copyright & Worship
- Worship Theory
- Contemporary Worship
- Lay Programs
- Young Adults
- Congregational Stories
- Wayside Quotations
- Submission Form