Travel and Expense Guidelines for Board, Committee and Taskforce Members
Adopted: October 1999
Amended: 1999, 2002, 2003, 2005
Reviewed 2013 by the Treasurer
Purpose: To provide equity between volunteer committees and lower barriers to volunteer service.
General Guidelines for Meeting-Related Expenses
- Board and committee expenditures, including travel, are not reimbursable when that committee has exceeded its budget, unless express permission is received in advance from the Treasurer, the Moderator, or the Chair of the Finance Committee.
- Only expenses related to volunteer service are reimbursable from the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) Budget. If a board or committee member incurs expenses for non-meeting activities (such as extra hotel nights related to non-committee related business prior to or following a meeting) these expenses will not be reimbursed. If these costs are directly billed to the UUA (such as hotel nights prior to General Assembly) the individual will be requested to reimburse the UUA for such expenses.
- An advance for meeting-related travel will be authorized by the Treasurer in cases of economic necessity.
- Air travel must be reserved at least 14 days in advance at the lowest rates possible (coach, tourist or senior citizen rates). Reimbursement for airline travel purchased with less than 14 days advance booking must be approved by the Treasurer, Moderator, or Finance Chair of the UUA. The UUA uses the PROTRAVEL International travel agency. By using the agency, travelers will be able to charge expenses directly to committee budgets, plus changes and cancellations can be accommodated.
- Every effort should be made to use low cost ground transportation. Use of public transportation is encouraged.
- Personal car usage is reimbursable at the current IRS rate ($0.565/mile for 2013). When a volunteer chooses to drive to a meeting, reimbursement will be made at the lower of the mileage reimbursement rate or lowest available airfare.
- Parking tickets or fines for traffic violations are not reimbursable expenses.
Lodging and Meals
- Moderate or lower-priced hotels and motels should be used. When traveling with a partner, spouse or other(s), volunteers are expected to pay the additional cost, if any, for a double room.
- Volunteers are strongly encouraged to share rooms during meetings, particularly in hotels.
- Meals are reimbursable, up to $50 per day, including tips, for higher-cost locations: Breakfast $10, Lunch $15 and $25 for Dinner.
The total and per-meal amounts should be adjusted to as low as $30 per day for the lowest-cost locations. The cost of alcoholic beverages is not reimbursable.
- Tips for such things as housekeeping and baggage handling are reimbursable up to a total of $5 per day.
- Child care costs are reimbursable.
- Purchase of a pre-paid phone card is reimbursable.
- The Association's Board of Trustees' budget funds trustee liaison expenses in connection with Associate Member organizations. Participation in events sponsored by Related Organizations, Districts, or other regional groups are not reimbursable from the Board of Trustees' budget except with prior approval of the Moderator.
- All meetings are to be held in UUA facilities. Meetings may be held elsewhere only after receiving approval from the Treasurer, Finance Chair or the Moderator.
- Meals that take place during meetings, where practical, should be catered at Eliot & Picket house rather than at local restaurants. Catering costs must be in line with UUA reimbursement levels.
- Expenses may be submitted when incurred, even if this is in advance of the meeting.
- Meals: The cost of each meal should be itemized separately, and the original receipt should be submitted.
- All requests for reimbursement (Excel) (PDF) must be submitted using the UUA form and fully documented with receipts attached. The form should be submitted to the appropriate UUA staff liaison within two weeks of the meeting. UUA staff should submit reimbursements to the Financial Services Department within five business days of receipt. The Finance Services Department should reimburse volunteer expenses within one week of the receipt of the request.
- Requests for reimbursement submitted more than 30 days after the end of the fiscal year in which incurred will not be paid.
For more information contact treasurer @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Tuesday, April 2, 2013.