Alternate Activity 2: Easy A, the Movie
Activity time: 120 minutes
Materials for Activity
- DVD of the film Easy A (PG-13, directed by Will Gluck, 2010)
- DVD player and digital projector or large monitor
Preparation for Activity
- The movie deals with sexual topics. Preview it to determine its suitability for your group.
- Test electronic equipment.
Description of Activity
Youth discuss how a contemporary movie for youth represents issues of respect.
Watch the film Easy A. Discuss with group the way high school youth are portrayed:
- Does the movie seem to make a fair representation?
- What about the sexual double standard the movie portrays? Is this accurate for your peer group? At your school, are females and males expected to earn respect in different ways?
- Are male and female characters three-dimensional-that is, like real people you might know-or are they a bit cartoonish?
- Could you see a story like this happening in your school?
- What do you think of the decisions the youth in the film make? Who acts with respect? Who acts with integrity? Who uses moderation?
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.