Loyalty is still the same, whether it win or lose the game; true as a dial to the sun, although it be not shined upon. — Samuel Butler, novelist
This workshop focuses on loyalty. Be prepared—youth may be unfamiliar with the word and need a definition. Youth discover different types of loyalty and examine a situation in which loyalties to oneself, one's congregation, and Unitarian Universalism compete.
This workshop concludes the program. Alternate Activity 3, Celebration, offers a wrap-up. Alternate Activity 2, Worship Service, guides the youth to plan a multigenerational worship service in which they share their virtue ethics work with the congregation.
This workshop will:
- Examine the meaning of loyalty
- Provide examples of situations where loyalty is used or called for
- Guide youth to identify themselves as users of loyalty.
- Explore the meaning of "loyalty"
- Discuss a dilemma where loyalty is tested
- Practice discerning what and who deserve their loyalty
- Examine their use of loyalty and commit to the future use of loyalty in their lives.