You Are Here
Welcoming and Entering
Activity time: 0 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint and markers or a dry erase board
- Photographs of a variety of families-from magazines, books on diverse families, or websites. You can go to Photolibrary and type "families" in the search word box. You can also see samples from books by going to the Family Diversity Project website. For each book listed, first go to the book, and then go to "exhibit samples," to find three examples of family photographs from the book.
- Index cards and pencils
Preparation for Activity
- Set out family photographs, including any you printed from the above websites, with index cards and pencils. Write the prompts below on a dry erase board or newsprint:
- What do you know about this family by looking at the photograph?
- What do you not know about the family by looking at the photograph?
Description of Activity
In this exercise students will use an interpreter's eye to ask: "What can you tell about a family by looking at a photo?" Invite participants to look at the photos you have gathered. On an index card, have them jot down what they know and what they don't know about each family they view in a photo.