You Are Here
Activity 1: Story - Faithful Fools
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
Preparation for Activity
- Print out Leader Resource 1, Faithful Fools Photos.
- Read the story and prepare to present it effectively.
- Optional: Copy the story for all participants.
Description of Activity
Youth hear a story demonstrating Unitarian Universalists creating a contemporary interfaith organization.
Tell or read the story. Or, distribute copies to participants and have volunteers read aloud, taking turns at each sentence or paragraph or acting out the parts. Remind the group that anyone has the right to pass.
Then lead a short discussion with these questions:
- What neighborhood in our community is comparable to the Tenderloin district? What is your immediate reaction to the thought of spending a whole day there interacting with the residents?
- How do you think you would be changed if you spent a day on a street retreat, similar to the ones offered by the Faithful Fools?
- How does Reverend Jorgensen connect her work with her Unitarian Universalist faith?
- Both founders, Sister Barsody and Reverend Jorgensen, said their work is based on similar theologies. What might be similar between Catholic and UU theologies?
- How does Faithful Fools use the power of story? How might street theater tell a story differently than a spoken narrative?