Faith In Action: Movie Night
Activity time: 120 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Movie on DVD or VHS and movie player
- Optional: Note cards or invitations, and markers
- Optional: Computer with Internet access, and projector/screen or large monitor
- Optional: Refreshments, such as popcorn and juice
Preparation for Activity
- Prepare a list of possible movies. Pay attention to the rating of the film; G, PG, and PG-13 are appropriate for participants. Some suggestions: Au Revoir, Les Enfants (1987), Doubt (2008), Fiddler on the Roof (1971), Jesus Christ Superstar (1973), Jihad for Love (2007), Chariots of Fire (1981), Siddhartha (1972), and The Mission (1986). You might invite the group to generate a list.
- Decide how you will get invitations to your partners.
- Give yourself plenty of time to set up the room, test your movie player, and prepare any refreshments. Make sure refreshments are placed so that viewers can access them without disturbing the film.
Description of Activity
Youth invite their interfaith service partners to a film with a religion theme.
Choose a movie. You might use a list generated by the group or through consultation with your interfaith partners.
Send or give invitations to all partners. The invitation should include date, time, location; the length and rating of the movie and a brief description; and information about what kind of snacks will be served or should be brought. Borrow, rent, or purchase the movie.
After watching the film, discuss it. Here are a few generic questions you might use:
- How did this movie make you feel?
- How does religion affect the characters in the film?
- What is the "story of religion" promoted by this film? How does it differ from the story you choose to promote through your interfaith work?
- Is this a true story? If not, why do you think the screenwriter or author wrote this story?
- Stories can be very powerful. What other movies, books, songs, or television shows about religion have played a part in your life?
Leave time for clean up.
Including All Participants
Make sure the space where you will show the film can accommodate the number of viewers you expect, and is fully accessible.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.