Handout 1: A Youth Leader Is...
- One who recognizes personal limitations and asks for help when needed.
- The "entertainer," the "informer," the "quiet commander," the person who pushes the limits, the facilitator who brings it all together.
- One that holds the space for youth to be youth.
- Someone who listens to others, not just with the ears, but more importantly, with the heart.
- Steps outside of their "comfort zone", so that they can grow and evolve as an individual.
- Someone who can pick out the main goals and desires from someone's heartfelt but disorganized ramble or rant.
- Can be like a booster on a rocket—helping to propel the astronauts to space but not actually going to the moon.
- Someone who inspires others.
- One who supports any youth—especially those who have dreams and ideas to share.
- One who cares for everyone—there is no room for being judgmental.
- Someone who takes the initiative to make things happen in the community.
- Someone who demonstrates youth empowerment in anything from moderating the energy of a group to facilitating a business meeting.
- Someone who responds well to the needs of the group, whatever they are.
- Someone who is responsible and reliable, and who can motivate another person to create change.
- One who shares power with the adult and works together toward a common goal.
- A young person who has a combination of strength, intelligence, and passion and is using these talents to encourage other youth to voice their opinions and take action on their beliefs.
- Not just telling everyone what needs to be done, but allowing them to come to that conclusion through their own processes.
- Someone who can be responsible and keep things running smoothly.
- Like any other leader, except they are a youth.
- A person who people trust and respect.
- Someone who knows when to step up and step down.
- Willing to fill leadership roles and speak out against injustices like racism and bigotry.
- Willing to make a ridiculous fool of him or herself.
- Someone who models inclusion and works actively to achieve community.
- Able to see and feel beyond themselves, to be aware of how other youth are reacting, and to see how that effects the entire group dynamic.
- A vital part of the UU movement.
- A youth who leads by example, by consensus, by inspiration, by identifying, developing, and empowering fellow youth.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.