Handout 1: Aphorisms of Confucius
1. Those who would perfect their work must first sharpen their tools.
2. Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it.
3. A youth is to be regarded with respect. How do you know the youth's future will not be equal to or greater than your present?
4. A person who has committed a mistake and doesn't correct it is committing another mistake.
5. Forget injuries. Never forget kindnesses.
6. One who exercises leadership by means of virtue may be compared to the north polar star, which keeps its place and all the other stars turn toward it.
7. Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire.
8. I hear and I know. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
9. If a person takes no thought of what is distant, sorrow will be near at hand.
10. In errors a person is true to type. Observe the errors and you will know the person.
11. Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
12. It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop.
13. Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
14. To move a mountain, one begins by carrying away small stones.
15. They must often change who would be constant in happiness or wisdom.
16. Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire.
17. Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart.
18. Plant a thought, reap an act. Plant an act, reap a habit. Plant a habit, reap a character. Plant a character, reap a destiny.
19. Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in getting up every time we do.
20. Before embarking on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.
For more information contact email@example.com.