HANDOUT 3: Child Starvation
- Every 3.6 seconds a person dies of starvation
- Conservative figures show that five million children under age five die from hunger-related causes
- One in eight children in the United States goes to bed hungry every night
- Hunger is twice as prevalent in minority households as white households in the U.S.
- Worldwide agricultural production is greater than 2,700 calories daily for every human being on earth
- Malnutrition causes pain, joint deterioration, dental decay, compromised immunity, impaired thought processes and muscle control, and slow growth
- In the United States, 27% of edible food is thrown away each year. Half of the wasted food could feed 40 million people, half the number of people who die of starvation on earth every year.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, November 3, 2011.
- Workshop Overview
- Workshop Plan
- Leader Reflection and Planning
- Taking It Home
- Leader Resources
- Find Out More
- Entire Workshop
- Entire Workshop (Paper-Saving Version)