Opening (10 minutes), Workshop 6: The Binding of Isaac
In "Wisdom from the Hebrew Scriptures," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle and lighter, or LED battery-operated candle
- Stand or table space for the chalice
- Decorative covering for chalice stand
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Prepare a welcoming space, including comfortable seating arranged in a circle around a small table with a chalice at its center.
Description of Activity
Bring participants together and welcome them. Invite a volunteer to light the chalice as you share a favorite children's chalice lighting used by your congregation.
Ask participants what they do when they hear a story that makes them scared. Tell them that they are going to hear a Bible story which people have been puzzling over for a very long time. It is another story of Abraham, this time with his son, Isaac—a story that makes us want to say, "No!" when we hear it.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, October 26, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- List of Stories
- List of Leader Resources