Faith In Action: Congregation Gratitude and Generosity, Workshop 7: Gather in Thanks
In "Gather the Spirit," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers and tape
- Optional: Templates (Leader Resources 1 and 2), paper, scissors (including left-handed scissors) and fine-tipped markers in assorted colors for making raindrops, clouds and lightning bolts (Activity 3, River Scene — Gratitude and Generosity Rainstorm Symbols)
Preparation for Activity
- Consult your minister, religious educator, music director and lay worship leaders to plan a time and way for the Gather the Spirit group to participate in a congregational worship service.
- Post newsprint for brainstorming.
Description of Activity
Help participants plan a worship service for the congregation using elements from this workshop that express their understandings of the relationship between gratitude, generosity and water stewardship. Invite them to identify their goals for the worship service: perhaps people will become more thankful for the water resources they have; perhaps some will decide that they, too, should express their gratitude by finding new ways to offer stewardship to water resources.
Record ideas on newsprint, drawing from this program. You might:
- Use some music you have heard or sung
- Share a story you have heard
- Lead the congregation in "From You I Receive" with hand gestures
- Distribute rainstorm symbols for people to write messages of gratitude and generosity.
Once the worship service plan takes shape, engage volunteers to take on specific responsibilities. Schedule a rehearsal. Publicize the worship service.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Saturday, December 10, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources