Activity 4: Decomposition Chorus
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Handout 2, Decomposition Chorus Lyrics
Preparation for Activity
- Copy Handout 2 for all participants.
- Decide whether the children will do this piece as a song, a rap, or a reading.
- Optional: Plan the motions you wish children to use for the chorus (make up your own), and plan to teach them.
- Optional: Recruit a song leader.
Description of Activity
Children perform a fun song (or rap, or reading) that explains decomposition.
Teach everyone the three parts of the chorus with the respective hand motions (or, alternate motions you have made up). If the group is large enough, form three small groups to sing the three different chorus parts simultaneously.
Group 1: Muncha, muncha, muncha. Muncha, muncha, muncha...
Motion 1: Make hands into little munching mouths that move to the beat of "muncha, muncha, muncha."
Group 2: Decomposition, decomposition, decomposition...
Motion 2: Gently pound fist into hand to the beat of the decomposition.
Group 3: I get down, I break down...
Motion 3: Do the wiggle. Wiggle your body down, as you bring each arm one after the other overhead and down in front of your body. Keep your hands in a fist with the thumbs out and pointed down. Keep going.
Once the children are ready to perform their parts of the chorus, sing, rap, or say the verses, indicating to the children when it is time for their chorus parts and accompanying motions. Feel free to make up new motions. Have fun!