Handout 1: Let's Talk... and Listen
Make a promise to do at least one of these activities before the next time Windows and Mirrors meets. Be prepared to tell the group what you did and what happened.
- Say "welcome" to someone in another language.
- Watch a foreign language TV channel.
- Observe others talking. Notice the gestures they use and what they mean.
- Use one of the following listening skills in a conversation with a friend or family member, and observe their reaction:
- Keep good eye contact with the speaker.
- Think about the information you are hearing.
- Let the speaker talk without interruption.
- Ask good questions at the right time.
- Repeat back, in your own words, important information the speaker has shared.
- Save your own personal stories until after you have responded to what the speaker wants to tell you.
- Encourage the speaker with body language, such as smiling and nodding your head.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- Session Overview
- Session Plan
- Entire Session
- Entire Session (Paper-Saving Version)