Handout 1 Let's Talk and Listen
Make a promise to do at least one of these activities before the next time Windows and Mirrors meets. Be prepared to tell the group what you did and what happened.
- Say "welcome" to someone in another language.
- Watch a foreign language TV channel.
- Observe others talking. Notice the gestures they use and what they mean.
- Use one of the following listening skills in a conversation with a friend or family member, and observe their reaction:
- Keep good eye contact with the speaker.
- Think about the information you are hearing.
- Let the speaker talk without interruption.
- Ask good questions at the right time.
- Repeat back, in your own words, important information the speaker has shared.
- Save your own personal stories until after you have responded to what the speaker wants to tell you.
- Encourage the speaker with body language, such as smiling and nodding your head.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.