Find a place where you can be quiet with your thoughts. Make yourself comfortable; light a candle to mark the time as different from your other activities. Close your eyes and breathe deeply and perhaps repeat a word or phrase to separate you from the activities of the day. After opening your eyes, consider:
- How do you feel about your work? Do you find it meaningful or rewarding?
- Think about the communities to which you belong: your congregation, the families at your children's school(s), your neighborhood, your town. How well does each community celebrate the contributions of everyone whose work makes the community possible?
- What jobs have you held? What were some considerations you thought about when choosing a job? Did you feel pressure to pick a certain kind of work due to familial, societal or financial pressures?
- Do you believe people can find meaning and success and achieve dignity of work in a wide range of employment? Why or why not?
- What are your expectations for this session? What do you hope is created as a result of it? What difference do you hope it makes?