Spiritual Preparation, Session 11: Privilege Is A Blessing We Give Away To Be In Community
In "Windows and Mirrors," a Tapestry of Faith program
Find a place where you can be quiet with your thoughts. Make yourself comfortable; light a candle to mark the time as different from your other activities. Close your eyes and breathe deeply and perhaps repeat one word or phrase to separate yourself from the activities of the day.
Prepare for the lesson by thinking about the many ways that you have privilege. You might consider:
- What are some privileges you possess? These privileges can include your talents, skills, abilities, education or access to information/ resources/ money/ power that you have by chance of birth or geography.
- What is the source of your privilege?
- How does your privilege make you feel?
- In what ways do your privileges obligate, liberate and/or imprison you?
- What are some ways that you do or would like to use your privileges in the service of others?
- How does your Unitarian Universalist faith inform how you share your privilege?
Be prepared to share your insights with the children in the session.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources