Alternate Activity 2: Sharing Our Spirit In Art
Activity time: 30 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A large sheet of poster board
- Magazines to cut up
- Scissors, including left-handed scissors
- Glue sticks
- A digital camera and printer or an instant camera and film
- Optional: Decorative stickers, such as sticky-backed gems
Preparation for Activity
- Gather a variety of magazines with positive images that might reflect individual children's spirits, such as Highlights, UU World, National Geographic (children's edition), Better Homes & Gardens, and O!
- Obtain photographs of all participants, or obtain a camera to photograph each child - ideally, a digital camera and access to a printer so you can create the photos during the session.
- Arrange to display the children's collage in your congregational space.
- Write the title, "The Gift of Our Spirit" and words to identify your group, such as "Wonderful Welcome, K-1," at the top of the poster.
Description of Activity
Show the children the sheet of poster board. Tell them that together they will make a poster that represents their spirits, to display in your congregation. Invite the children to cut out pictures from magazines that represent their own spirit. You can guide them to look for things they care about and things they believe, as well as things they like to do. As a group hang the poster in the pre-arranged display space.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.