Opening (5 minutes), Session 14: Justice (Flashlight)
In "Toolbox of Faith," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Chalice and candle or LED/battery-operated candle
- Lighter and extinguisher, if needed
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Tool of the Day — a flashlight
- Flashlights or a single lamp
- Optional: Window covering to help darken the room
- Optional: Large blanket or tarp and a table to drape it over, to create a darkened space for flashlight play
- Toolbox of Our Faith poster, a cut-out or sketched image of a lit candle, and clear tape
Preparation for Activity
- Print the opening words on newsprint. Post the newsprint where the children will be able to see it when they gather in your Council Circle space.
Description of Activity
Gather the children in a circle, in your Council Circle space. Light the chalice.
Indicate where the opening words are posted, for any children who are unfamiliar with them. Lead the group in reciting:
We are Unitarian Universalists
with minds that think,
hearts that love,
and hands that are ready to serve.
Introduce the Tool of the Day — a flashlight. Pass it around, and invite the children to share about their prior experiences. Ask the group, "Why do you think this represents a Unitarian Universalist Association tool?" Affirm all answers, and acknowledge that there is no one, correct answer.
Then, tell the group:
The flashlight represents the light of truth. Unitarian Universalism is a faith that will help you find and carry the light of truth, even when it is hard to do so. One of our Principles is that Unitarian Universalism values justice, compassion, and equity in human relations. Another Unitarian Universalism Principle affirms that we are part of an interdependent web. When one part of that web suffers injustice, the entire web suffers injustice.
Invite a participant to tape the cut-out or picture of a lit candle to the Toolbox of Our Faith poster. Write the word, "Justice," on the poster.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Wednesday, October 26, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources