Activity 6: Clean-up
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Containers to hold markers, stickers and other arts and crafts materials children have used
- Lined wastebasket
- Paper bag for recyclable paper products
- Another bag for recycling plastic cups, juice bottles, or cans
- Trays or a rolling cart to carry dirty dishes to the kitchen
Preparation for Activity
- Put extra garbage bags or trays or rolling cart near the tables to clean up after the modeling dough.
- If your congregation does not have a recycling program in place, find out whether parents are willing to assist with this activity by taking home items to recycle at the end of this session.
Description of Activity
In this activity, the children practice generosity by returning the meeting space to the neatness and cleanliness in which they found it. Tell them that putting all of their materials away and cleaning up is a generous thing to do. Remind them that other people may use the room before they meet here again.
Tell the group that cleaning up gives them an opportunity to be generous to the Earth and those who share it, as well as to others who share this meeting space. Ask them to look around the room and think about what materials can be recycled.
The goal of this activity is to help children take responsibility for their actions, think about how their actions affect others, and participate in a group effort. If your congregation has a recycling system, ask one or two children to take the recyclable materials to the appropriate bins. If your congregation does not have a recycling system, this may be a good project to think about for the Moral Tales group! In the meantime, you might ask the children to find out whether their families would take home the recyclables today or after a future session. It would be best to ask parents if they wish to participate in this project first.
Including All Participants
Make sure all of the children have a way to assist, as able.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.