Activity 4: Story - A Messiah Is Among You
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- A copy of the story, "A Messiah Is Among You"
- A chime, a rain stick, or another calming sound instrument
Preparation for Activity
- Read the story a few times.
- Consider telling the story rather than reading it. Practice telling it aloud. Try adopting different voices for Mr. Cohen, the rabbi, or the various students.
- Plan how you will use items from the story basket as props. Place them where you can reach them as you tell the story.
Description of Activity
Before you begin, look around the room and make eye contact with each person.
If you did not discuss the meaning of the word, "messiah," during the story basket activity, do so now. Explain that some people believe that God will send a special person, called a messiah, to save the Earth and the people on it from our troubles. Explain that Christians believe that Jesus was a messiah. Read or tell the story.
Including All Participants
There are children for whom it is very difficult to sit still, even when they are paying attention to what is happening around them. This can be frustrating for teachers, as well as for the children who are expected to maintain stillness for prolonged periods of time. If you have children in the group for whom this is the case, consider adopting the use of "fidget objects" as described in Leader Resources. These fidget objects can provide a non-disruptive outlet for the need to move.