Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world. — Harriet Tubman
The power of fire is the power of passion, of allowing the heart to lead us to good actions. When we follow our passion for a more just world, we see amazing results. The children learn how Hannah Salwen inspired her family's decision to sell their mansion and give half the proceeds to a charity which they chose. Participants practice advocating a cause they care deeply about. Then the group will choose a cause, and prepare to engage the congregation to support it with half of a Sunday offering.
This session will:
- Demonstrate that everyone, including a young person, can be an agent of positive change
- Develop skills for sharing personal passions
- Connect the first UU Principle, the inherent worth and dignity of every person, with affirmation that we all have a fire inside which we can share.
- Identify the expression of passion—the power of fire—in the story of Hannah Salwen and her family's journey to create change
- Practice advocacy by creating a case statement for a project they want the congregation to support and preparing to share their idea with congregational leaders
- Understand their own capability to bring forth passion into action for a good cause.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.