Faith In Action: Sharing Leadership
Activity time: 0 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- A roster of the group participants
- Optional: Poster board and markers
- Optional: Stickers
Preparation for Activity
- Decide whether you will use a simple group roster to keep track of participants' leadership roles, or make and display a poster. You might keep track by adding check marks or stars to a child's name on the roster. If you will make a poster, obtain materials you will need.
- Decide how you will: keep track of who leads, remind children about their assigned duties in upcoming sessions, provide make-up time for a child who is absent when they were scheduled to lead, and thank the leaders. Leaders could be thanked by a simple thank you during each Closing, or co-leaders could send out thank you cards. Make reasonable plans that will not cause co-leaders much additional work.
- Post blank newsprint.
Description of Activity
Children adopt shared leadership as a practice for future sessions.
On blank newsprint, brainstorm a list of duties for the time the Signs group is together. This can include lighting the chalice, writing down chalice lighting words or posting the newsprint where they are already written, helping serve a snack, and helping clean up after activities. Engage the children to help you set up a schedule so leadership can be rotated.
Remind the group that following through is an important part of being a leader-a lesson from the story, "Belling the Cat."
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.