Activity time: 3 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Taking It Home
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Optional: Stoles, including extras for visitors
Preparation for Activity
- Download and adapt Taking It Home and copy for all participants. And/or, plan to email Taking It Home to parents/caregivers after this session.
- If the group designed a Closing ritual in Session 9, prepare to hold it. If not, use the Closing described here. Write the words for chalice extinguishing on newsprint, and post.
- Decide whether you will invite the children to take home their stoles at the conclusion of the Signs of Our Faith program or to leave the stoles at the congregation for use during future leadership opportunities.
- If you have arranged an upcoming leadership activity for this group, be ready to give the children and their parents/caregivers details after you formally close the session.
Description of Activity
Distribute stoles and invite participants to put them on.
Distribute Taking It Home. Tell participants that at the end of every session, they will receive this guide to fun activities they can do with family or friends. Read it aloud to give participants an idea of activities suggested.
Gather everyone in a circle around the chalice table. Lead the group to say:
We end as we began: together.
May we remember to be UU not just when we are together here, but every day and in every way.
Ask all participants to blow out the chalice together.
Have them store their stoles in a place you have designated, or invite them to take home their stoles.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.