Activity time: 3 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice, candle and lighter or LED battery-operated candle
- Centering table
- A chime or bell
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
- Optional: Cloth for centering table
- Optional: Stoles, including extras for visitors
Preparation for Activity
- If the group designed an Opening ritual in Session 9, set out materials you need to lead it. Or, prepare to lead the Opening described below: Set a chalice table with a cloth, a chalice, candle, and lighter or an LED battery-operated candle. Write the opening words on newsprint, and post.
- Optional: If children will wear stoles during the session, make sure you have extra stoles for visitors. Activity 6, Third Emblem, is a good time for a child who has begun to attend regularly to add their initials to a stole.
Description of Activity
Lead the Opening ritual designed in Session 9. Or, use this Opening ritual:
If the children wear stoles for Opening and Closing rituals, distribute stoles. Invite the children to put on their stoles. Offer any visitors a stole and explain that they may wear it during the Opening time and the Closing time if they wish. Remind the children their stoles are a sign that everyone in the group is a worship leader.
Welcome all participants. Gather everyone in a circle around the chalice table. Ring the centering chime. Ask a volunteer to light the chalice together. Lead the group to say these Opening words:
We gather together as Unitarian Universalists and members of the Signs of Our Faith community.
Together and individually, we practice good stewardship by taking care of our family, friends, congregation, community, and the world.
Point out the donation box. Invite children to place in it the toys or books they brought to donate to the congregation. Say that anyone who forgot a donation can bring their gift of "treasure" next time they come.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact email@example.com.