HANDOUT 2: Making Soul Masks
To create a soul mask:
1. Make an outline of your head on heavy card stock. You can do this by placing the card stock on a table, pressing your face down on it, and drawing an outline around your head with a pencil. Or, ask a friend to draw around your head.
2. Use scissors to cut the mask out in the shape of your head.
3. On the outside of the mask, use markers to write words or draw pictures reflecting the self you show to the world. Words like these: boy, girl, basketball player, student, sibling, and so on.
4. On the inside of the mask, use markers to write words or draw pictures reflecting the inner self you do not show to the world. Words like these: brave, religious, deep thinker, mysterious, smart, scared and so on. You will not have to share the inside of your mask with anybody if you do not want to. If you prefer, you can use abbreviations or invent codes for the inside of the mask. Just be sure you can remember what they mean.
5. Cut a small hole on each side of your mask, where the ears would be, and attach a string so you can wear the mask. The string is optional. If you do not use it, you can hold the mask over your face. Or, glue a large wooden stick to the bottom of the mask and hold it up to your face.
6. Cut eyeholes in the mask. Add a nose hole if you like.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- Session Overview
- Session Plan
- Entire Session
- Entire Session (Paper-Saving Version)