Alternate Activity 3: Heart Ribbon Magnet
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Felt hearts mounted on felt squares and magnets, assembled in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1
- A roll of 1/8-inch violet ribbon
- Extra felt and magnets for new participants, plus glue, sharp scissors, and permanent marker
Preparation for Activity
- Set on work tables the Heart Ribbon Magnets children began making in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1.
- Cut violet ribbon into 16-inch lengths and set on work tables.
- Review Session 2, Alternate Activity 1 to start Heart Ribbon Magnets for new participants.
Description of Activity
Ribbons added in colors associated with the Principles help kindergarten and first graders learn the Principles.
This activity connects the color violet and the seventh Principle as children complete their Heart Ribbon Magnets to take home at the close of the program.
Invite children to find the Heart Ribbon Magnet they have been working on and sit at work tables. Tell them the violet ribbon represents the seventh UU Principle, "We believe in caring for our planet Earth and every living thing that shares it with us." Demonstrate how to fold a length of violet ribbon in half, push the folded end into the hole on the side of the heart next to the indigo ribbon, and insert the two loose ends of violet ribbon through the loop formed by the folded end. Pull the violet ribbon through tightly.
Help any new children or visitors begin a Heart Ribbon Magnet, following instructions in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1, and add all seven colors of ribbon. Have all participants check that they have all seven colors. If they are missing any of the ribbons, give them the colors they need to add to their magnet. Invite them to take the magnets home at the close of this session.
Including All Participants
Partner a very young child with an older child who can help them.