Alternate Activity 3: Heart Ribbon Magnet
Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Felt hearts mounted on felt squares and magnets, assembled in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1
- A roll of 1/8-inch indigo ribbon
- Extra felt and magnets for new participants, plus glue, sharp scissors, and permanent marker
Preparation for Activity
- Set on work tables the Heart Ribbon Magnets children began making in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1.
- Cut indigo ribbon into 16-inch lengths and set on work tables.
- Review Session 2, Alternate Activity 1 to start Heart Ribbon Magnets for new participants.
Description of Activity
This activity connects the color indigo and the sixth Principle as children work on their Heart Ribbon Magnets, a reminder of the UU Principles to take home at the close of the program.
Tell the children the indigo ribbon represents the sixth UU Principle, "We believe in working for a peaceful, fair, and free world." Demonstrate how to fold a length of indigo ribbon in half, push the folded end into the hole on the side of the heart next to the blue ribbon, and insert the two loose ends of indigo ribbon through the loop formed by the folded end. Pull the indigo ribbon through tightly.
Help any new children or visitors make a Heart Ribbon Magnet, following instructions in Session 2, Alternate Activity 1, and add red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and indigo ribbons.
Set aside the magnets and remaining colors of ribbon for future sessions.
Including All Participants
Partner very young children with an older child who can help them.