Alternate Activity 5: Multigenerational Night Sky Watch
Activity time: 0 minutes
Preparation for Activity
- Plan for a multigenerational evening of watching the night sky-you will need a location away from city lights, and a clear night.
- Invite someone who is familiar with the constellations and how to locate them. Or, obtain a book from the local library that explains how to find constellations (and bring a flashlight, to read the book).
- Plan to bring the Description of Activity so you can guide a processing discussion while the group is together. You may also wish distribute the questions to participants to reflect on as a family before the sky watch.
- Make badges or buttons with a Unitarian Universalist chalice for all participants. They might say "UU Sky Watch."
Description of Activity
Arrange a nighttime observation of stars.
It's important to take time to connect this activity to our identity as Unitarian Universalists. As the group observes the night sky, invite them to consider the science knowledge they bring to their observation and its influence on their concept of God. Process together with these suggested questions:
- What is the Unitarian Universalist Source we are focusing on today? (teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science; the fifth UU Source)
- Why do we turn to reason and science as a part of our religion?
- Is there mystery in the universe?
- Have all the questions about how the universe began been answered?
- Did you learn something new today?
Including All Participants
Practice what it means to be inclusive by addressing accessibility issues for people of all ages. Are there children, adults, and elders in the congregation who need assistance walking? Make specific arrangements for someone to help them getting to the sky watch location. Does anyone in your congregation have trouble seeing? Perhaps invite the children to describe what they witness to people who would welcome a verbal description of the night sky. Invite and welcome all.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.