Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Session 4, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - Jewish and Christian Teachings
- Pencils or markers
- Taking It Home section
- Optional: Session 1, Handout 3, Our Sources Lyrics
- Optional: A recording of the song "Our Sources" and a music player
Preparation for Activity
- Print out Session 4, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - Jewish and Christian Teachings. Copy for all participants, plus one to place on the Night Sky display. Cut out the stars.
- Download, adapt, and copy Taking It Home for all participants (or plan to email it to all families after the session).
- Write the words for the fourth UU Source on newsprint, and post:
Our Unitarian Universalist beliefs come from the Jewish and Christian teachings that tell us to love all others as we love ourselves.
- Optional: Prepare to teach and lead the song "Our Sources."
- Copy Session 1, Handout 3, "Our Sources" Lyrics, or write the words on newsprint, and post. Plan to store handouts or newsprint for re-use.
- Learn the song so you can teach it to the group. Listen to the song online to familiarize yourself with it. You might invite a member of the choir or someone in the congregation comfortable leading songs to learn the song with you and help you.
Description of Activity
Gather the children at work tables. Invite them each to decorate a Source Star to take home and share with their family. You might suggest they draw something from the story about Jacob and Rachel they heard today. As children work, attach one star that says "We learn from Jewish and Christian Teachings" to the Night Sky.
When children are done, gather them in a circle. Say, in your own words:
Today we learned from Jewish teachings. We heard a story about Jacob and Rachel, two people from Hebrew scripture-with a message to love and accept other people as we want to be loved and accepted, like Jacob and Rachel did in biblical times.
If you wish to sing "Our Sources," distribute Session 1, Handout 3 or indicate the newsprint where you have posted the lyrics. Teach/lead the song, with a musical volunteer if you have invited someone to help. You might play the music clip of "Our Sources" for the children to sing along.
Distribute Taking It Home and thank participants.
Save the Night Sky display and the handouts/newsprint to use next time.
Including All Participants
At this age, children have a wide range of reading ability. Do not put individual children on the spot to read aloud.