Activity 1: Remembering Our Sources Scramble
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Work the children created in previous sessions or other items to symbolize each Source
- All seven UU Source Star handouts:
- Session 2, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - Awe and Wonder
- Session 3, Leader Resource 3, Source Star - Reason and Science
- Session 4, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - Jewish and Christian Teachings
- Session 6, Leader Resource 4, Source Star - The Harmony of Nature
- Session 7, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - Wise Women and Men
- Session 10, Leader Resource 2, Source Star - World Religions
- Session 14, Leader Resource 3, Source Star - Our UU Faith Heritage
- Optional: Timepiece (seconds)
Preparation for Activity
- Review the sessions you have led, with your co-leaders and religious educator. Choose items the children will recognize as representing each of the seven Sources. For some Sources, you might use work one of the children created in a previous session. Place these items out of sight, but where you can easy get them.
- Copy the seven Source Stars:
- Prepare a space where participants can sit in a circle with a large work space in the middle.
Description of Activity
Participants review the Sources while acknowledging the work they have done in this program.
Gather the children in a seated circle on the floor. Explain that you will play a game based on the work they have done together in Love Will Guide Us. Randomly place the Source stars and gathered items on the floor in the middle of the circle.
Say, in your own words:
There is a Source star for each of the seven Unitarian Universalist Sources we have learned about together. And, there are seven items I have placed on the floor. Each item matches one of the Sources. When I say "go," you will all work together to match the items with the correct Source star. When you think everything is in the right place, tell me. I will check and see if it is. If it is not, you will work together to figure out which items need to be changed.
(Optional: I will use this stop watch to see how quickly you can do this.)
Ask the children if they have any questions. When everyone is ready, say "go."
When the children tell you they think they are done, check their matches. If any are wrong, do not say which ones. Instead, tell them how many are matched incorrectly. (If time is short, point out which ones are incorrect.) Have the children figure out together which ones to change.
Once all the Source stars are correctly matched to the items, take a moment to name each item. Help the children remember activities that involved the item or invite them to say something they remember from previous sessions.
When you are finished, ask the children briefly whether any items could have been matched with more than one source, and if so, why.
Including All Participants
To include children who are visiting for the first time or have not attended many of the sessions, invite them to make educated guesses as to what ideas and items seem to go together. You can also pair a new or intermittent attendee with a child who attends frequently.