Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 2, Source Star - World Religions
- Pencils or markers
- Taking It Home
- Optional: Session 1, Handout 3, Our Sources Lyrics
- Optional: A recording of the song "Our Sources" and a music player
Preparation for Activity
- Print out Leader Resource 2, Source Star - World Religions. Copy for all participants, plus one to place on the Night Sky display. Cut out the stars.
- Download, adapt, and copy Taking It Home for all participants (or plan to email it to all families after the session).
- Write the words for the third UU Source on newsprint, and post:
Our Unitarian Universalist beliefs come from the ethical and spiritual wisdom of the world's religions.
- Optional: Prepare to teach and lead the song "Our Sources."
- Copy Session 1, Handout 3, Our Sources Lyrics, or write the words on newsprint, and post. Plan to store handouts or newsprint for re-use.
- Learn the song so you can teach it to the group. Listen to the song online to familiarize yourself with it. You might invite a member of the choir or someone in the congregation comfortable leading songs to learn the song with you and help you.
Description of Activity
Gather participants at work tables. Invite them each to decorate a Source Star to take home and share with their family. You might suggest they draw something they learned about or from Buddhism today. As children work, attach one star that says "We learn from World Religions" to the Night Sky.
When children are done, gather them in a circle. Say, in your own words:
Today we talked about how we learn from world religions. We learned from the Hindu faith tradition about being kind to animals.
If you wish to sing "Our Sources," distribute Session 1, Handout 3 or indicate the newsprint where you have posted the lyrics. Teach/lead the song, with a musical volunteer if you have invited someone to help. You might play the music clip of "Our Sources" for the children to sing along.
Distribute Taking It Home and thank participants.
Save the Night Sky display and the handouts/newsprint to use next time.
Including All Participants
At this age, children have a wide range of reading ability. Do not put individual children on the spot to read aloud.
For more information contact email@example.com.