Faith In Action: Creating a Love Will Guide Us Garden, Session 1: Love Is Like a Seed
In "Love Will Guide Us," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Seeds for plants which will grow well outdoors in your climate
- Shovels, trowels, watering cans, gardening gloves, garden stakes, and other garden tools and materials
- Sunscreen, sun hats, and bug repellent
- Optional: Weather-proof sign to label "Love Will Guide Us Garden" with the name of your congregation and the program year
- Optional: Frog and Toad Together by Arnold Lobel (New York: HarperCollins, 1972)
Preparation for Activity
- Along with your minister, Building Committee, Social Action Committee and/or religious educator, select a site for the Love Will Guide Us Garden. Possibilities include your congregation's property, the home of a member of your congregation who could benefit from a garden, a rooftop in an urban setting, or a community location.
- Decide what type of garden to plant (decorative or functional) and what plants you would like to grow. Possibilities include organic vegetables to donate to a local food pantry, flowers (consider including bleeding hearts), or a butterfly garden. The goal is to create a garden that reflects love. As appropriate, network with local community organizations to determine what sort of garden and plants would be most beneficial. As possible, involve the children in this decision.
- Identify one or more gardeners in your congregation who can help lead this project.
- Establish a seasonally appropriate time to do the planting and invite the congregation to join the children in planting the garden.
- Plan for the continued care of the garden including weeding, watering, and harvesting.
Description of Activity
Plant the seeds according to their instructions. Use garden stakes to label the plants. Post your "Love Will Guide Us Garden" sign.
When the group has finished planting, gather in a circle and read the story, "The Garden," in the book Frog and Toad Together.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Thursday, October 27, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Session 8
- Session 9
- Session 10
- Session 11
- Session 12
- Session 13
- Session 14
- Session 15
- Session 16
- List of Stories
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources