Alternate Activity 1: Peace Songs
Activity time: 10 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Songs with a message of peace, music player(s), and copies of lyrics
Preparation for Activity
- Choose a few songs with messages of peace to play for the group. For example:
- Give Peace a Chance (John Lennon)
- Imagine (John Lennon)
- From a Distance (Bette Midler)
- A Voice for Peace (Dan Fogelberg)
- Peace on Earth (U2)
- Peace (Third Day)
- Peace (Cat Stevens)
- Celtic Sonant (Moody Blues)
- Pipes of Peace (Paul McCartney)
- Make Your Peace (INXS)
- We Shall Overcome (Peter, Paul and Mary)
- One Tribe (Wasp)
- Dancing on the Jetty (INXS)
- Peace, Love and Understanding (Elvis Costello)
- Border Song (Elton John)
- Why? (Tracy Chapman)
- Aquarius (Fifth Dimension)
- Conversation Peace (Stevie Wonder)
- Please Send Someone to Love Me (Sade)
- Farewell to Arms (Emerson, Lake and Palmer)
- Heaven's Here on Earth (Tracy Chapman)
- Turn, Turn, Turn (The Byrds)
- I'd Like to Teach the World to Sing (The New Seekers)
- Peace, Salaam, Shalom (Emma's Revolution)
- Piece O'Peace (Michael Franti and Spearhead)
- Piece by Piece (Safam)
- Obtain the lyrics for the songs you will use. Lyrics for many songs are online. Try the Poem Hunter, Anti War Songs, A la Carte, and Any Song Lyrics websites, or search the song's title.
Description of Activity
Play songs you have selected, handing out the lyrics for each song before you play it. Encourage participants to listen to each song without talking or sharing thoughts. Then, after each song, take a few minutes to reflect as a group. Consider:
- What message did this song have for us about "dwelling together in peace"?
- Do you think the song sounds as if the singers believe nonviolence will work? Why?
- Is this message meaningful to you personally? What does it make you think of?
Including All Participants
Hard copies of song lyrics will allow any participants with limited hearing to follow along, get the message of the songs, and engage with the activity.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.