Faith In Action: Magic Month, Random Acts of Kindness And Senseless Acts Of Beauty
Activity time: 0 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Leader Resource 3, Magic Month Letter to Parents
Preparation for Activity
- With your minister and director of religious education, select a month for Magic Month (March and May make for good alliteration).
- Adapt Leader Resource 3 and send it to parents a few weeks before the children's Magic Month presentation. As Magic Month approaches, check in with parents to be sure they are doing the "homework" assigned in the letter.
- Schedule a time when the children can present briefly to the congregation during Sunday worship.
- On the day of the presentation, arrange for the children to meet a half hour early to practice.
- Publicize Magic Month using your congregation's communication tools. Suggest ideas from Leader Resource 3 and add your own.
- Arrange for a Faithful Journeys co-leader, your minister, or your director of religious education to briefly describe Magic Month as part of the children's presentation.
Description of Activity
Choose a month during which all members of your congregation will be encouraged to make "magic" by practicing random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty in your congregation and/or local community. Launch the month with a presentation by the Faithful Journeys children during Sunday worship. Offer ideas for magical acts at that presentation and through your congregation's communication network. You might approach worship leaders about inviting volunteers to share about their random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty during worship services this month.
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.