Faith In Action: Congregational Action Campaign
Activity time: 30 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Postcards or paper and envelopes; pencils, pens or other writing/drawing implements; and correct postage stamps for mailing individual cards or letters
- Optional: Fact sheets about your campaign issue and voting records or other relevant information about the campaign "targets"
- Optional: Copies of petition about your issue and goal, and pens for signatures
Preparation for Activity
- With your minister, director of religious education and/or lay leaders, plan for the congregation to participate in your action during a coffee hour. Set a date as close as possible to this session so the project is fresh in children's minds.
- Publicize the campaign.
- Announce the campaign and invite congregational participation via your website, email lists and newsletter.
- Arrange for co-leaders or young volunteers to invite the congregation to participate, during worship announcements.
- If appropriate, send a press release announcing the campaign to local media.
- Obtain contact information for elected officials from a U.S. government searchable website .
- Set up a table and chairs for people to sit and write. Place campaign supplies, informational fact sheets, stamps, envelopes and addresses on the table.
Description of Activity
Invite the entire congregation to participate in the campaign the Faithful Journeys group has initiated by writing postcards or letters, signing petitions or contributing artwork. Have children and leaders staff the campaign table. You may wish to assign volunteers particular roles, such as keeping track of multiple copies of a petition, collecting finished postcards or dispensing postage stamps.
Including All Participants
It is possible you will have selected an issue that lacks unanimous appeal or agreement in your congregation. Be careful to use language in your materials, (including in your announcements to the congregation) that leaves room for diversity of opinion.
Share, Print, or Explore
For more information contact firstname.lastname@example.org.