Activity time: 5 minutes
Materials for Activity
- Chalice candle or LED/battery-operated candle
- Lighter and extinguisher, if needed
- Basket of name stones
- Newsprint, markers, and tape
Preparation for Activity
- Write the chalice-lighting words on newsprint, and post.
- Memorize the chalice-lighting words so you can make eye contact with participants while you say them.
- Spread the labyrinth on the floor with the chalice in the center.
- On top of the labyrinth, place the basket of stones.
Description of Activity
As children enter, invite them to retrieve their name stones from the basket and join you at the labyrinth. Be aware of the possibility of guests in your class. Have extra stones so you can offer the new people a chance to be part of the ritual.
Light the chalice and recite the following affirmation:
We are Unitarian Universalists,
with minds that think,
hearts that love,
and hands that are ready to serve.
Say, in your own words:
This labyrinth reminds us that we are taking a journey together. Every session is another portion of that journey. Each time we meet, everyone will be asked to place their stone within the labyrinth. Each stone is a symbol of us as fellow members of this group. When you place your stone, please say your name and share any joys or concerns you have had since we last met. Joys are the things that make you feel happy and concerns are worries. Sharing our joys and concerns with one another is a tradition in our faith community.
Close the joys and concerns by affirming that it is very good to be together. Extinguish the chalice.
For more information contact email@example.com.