Opening (15 minutes), Workshop 14: Building Cultural Competencies
In "Building the World We Dream About," a Tapestry of Faith program
Materials for Activity
- Worship table or designated space
- Chalice, candle, and lighter or LED/battery-operated candle
- A copy of Singing the Living Tradition, the Unitarian Universalist hymnbook
- Participant evaluations from previous workshop
- List of this workshop's Goals
- Covenant established in Workshop 1
Preparation for Activity
- Practice reading "Wild Geese," by Mary Oliver (Reading 490 in Singing the Living Tradition) aloud.
- If you have taken a significant break since Workshop 13, be prepared to remind participants of the content of that workshop.
- Review participant evaluations from the previous workshop. Discuss with your co-facilitators any patterns or concerns that have emerged. Prepare to briefly share feedback with the group, while keeping confidentiality.
Description of Activity
Light the chalice or invite a participant to light it while you read "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver aloud. Do not read this responsively.
If you have taken a significant break since Workshop 13, remind participants of what transpired in that workshop.
Share feedback from the previous workshop evaluations. Acknowledge shared patterns and observations to give participants a sense of how people in the group are thinking and feeling about the program. Be conscientious about maintaining confidentiality. One technique is to say, "Some people felt... ," rather than saying, "One of you felt... ." If time allows, invite participants to share one-minute observations or new insights they may have gained since the last workshop.
Remind participants of the spirit of their covenant and invite them to reaffirm their agreement to abide by the covenant.
Share the goals of this workshop.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Saturday, December 10, 2011.
- About the Authors
- Workshop 1
- Workshop 2
- Workshop 3
- Workshop 4
- Workshop 5
- Workshop 6
- Workshop 7
- Workshop 8
- Workshop 9
- Workshop 10
- Workshop 11
- Workshop 12
- Workshop 13
- Workshop 14
- Workshop 15
- Workshop 16
- Workshop 17
- Workshop 18
- Workshop 19
- Workshop 20
- Workshop 21
- Workshop 22
- Workshop 23
- Workshop 24
- List of Handouts
- List of Leader Resources
- List of Stories