Action Steps for Forming a Congregational Community Partnership
- Congregational leaders begin looking to focus their social justice ministries from many scattered projects towards a more unified and effective approach.
- The leaders speak with their ministers about establishing partnerships with local community organizations as the heart of the congregation’s social justice ministry.
- Discussions are held with two community organizations around their interest in forming a partnership.
- Leaders begin to communicate and seek support from within the congregation to gauge interest and create buy-in around developing partnerships (through sermons, articles, meetings, individual conversations, etc.).
- The congregation holds a Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA): Social Justice Empowerment Workshop that helps the congregation reflect and focus its vision for social justice.
- The congregation votes on and chooses a community partner that fits the mission, spirit and capacities of their social justice ministry.
- The chosen community organization is invited to hold a workshop for the congregation to introduce themselves more fully and discuss concrete ways for cooperation.
- Internal structures and leadership roles related to the partnership are designated and defined within the congregation to ensure a consistent and enduring ministry.
- Congregation and community partner begin their work together around identified community needs engaging in action and reflection.
- The congregation is kept informed and engaged in the social justice ministry, celebrating the accomplishments achieved through the partnership.
Read our Congregational Best Practice: First Unitarian Church of Oakland Partners with the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights for a narrative account of one congregation's community partnership.
For more information contact socialjustice @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Friday, December 2, 2011.
- Legislative Advocacy
- A People So Bold: DVD Guide
- Congregational Resolution Guide
- Congregational Stories
- Effective Congregational Programs
- Funding & Awards
- GA Presentations
- Grassroots Organizing
- Public Witness
- Social Justice Empowerment
- Young Adult Spirituality & Service
- Real Rules