Introduction & How to Use: A People So Bold DVD Discussion Guide
This segment of the video is best used for a group that will be watching more than a few segments of the A People So Bold DVD. It provides an overview of the DVD’s purpose and defines what the project is and is not.
Materials and Preparation
- A People So Bold DVD
- DVD player, TV/screen, and speakers
- Chalice, candle, and matches
- Singing the Living Tradition (1)
Time: 30-40 Minutes
A. Chalice Lighting
Welcome participants. Recruit a volunteer to light the chalice.
Offer opening words 434 from Singing the Living Tradition as the volunteer kindles the flame.
B. Introduction and Discussion
Watch “Intro & How to Use” segment of video (6:54)
If you have plans for when each of the segments of A People So Bold will be shown, share them with the group.
Solicit questions and comments:
- Which part of the video do you look forward to the most? What parts do you expect might feel challenging?
- Are there ways your congregation already helps you reflect on social justice? If so, how?
- Is the concept of Unitarian Universalist “theology” familiar to you? How would you describe Unitarian Universalist theology?
- What does it mean to have a theology of social justice? What might one such theology look like?
Invite participants to reflect and share with these or similar words:
Imagine a Unitarian Universalist theology of social justice. You don’t need to have it all worked out. Just imagine what it might be like. Imagine it written in a sermon or a newsletter column. What’s a word that you would want to be in that theology? Take a minute to think of a word that you think is very important to have in a theology of social justice. [Pause]
I now invite you to share those powerful words with the group. If you’d like to pass, you may.
Go around the room with each willing participant sharing a word.
For more information contact socialjustice @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Tuesday, March 27, 2012.
- Legislative Advocacy
- A People So Bold: DVD Guide
- Congregational Resolution Guide
- Congregational Stories
- Effective Congregational Programs
- Funding & Awards
- GA Presentations
- Grassroots Organizing
- Public Witness
- Social Justice Empowerment
- Young Adult Spirituality & Service
- Real Rules