The Dana McLean Greeley Address: Annual Competition
We extend our congratulations to Unitarian Universalist United Nations Office (UU-UNO) Envoy Kent Price, winner of the 2012 Rev. Dana Greeley Award! Read the announcement.
Read Kent’s sermon “Half of Humanity” (Word) which he delivered during the 2012 UU-UNO annual reception at the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) General Assembly in June.
History of the Competition
Established by the Unitarian Universalist United Nations Office, this competition is inspired by Rev. Dana McLean Greeley. As the first president of the UUA, Rev. Dana McLean Greeley continues to inspire us with his dedication to peace and justice, expressed in his ministry until his death in 1986. One of the principal founders of the World Conference on Religion and Peace, he believed that strengthening the United Nations is part of our commitment to world community with peace, liberty and justice.
All Unitarian Universalists are invited to submit a sermon (or address) to the UU-UNO. The purpose of this annual award program is to encourage and to recognize Unitarian Universalists’ principles, thought and action on a wide range of global issues as well as the role of the United Nations and our own Unitarian Universalist United Nations Office. While all submissions will be considered, those highlighting the work of the United Nations and the UU-UNO will be given priority consideration.
The winner will be awarded a cash prize of $1000 and have the opportunity to deliver the sermon or address at the next UUA General Assembly.
What better incentive to write a great UN Sunday sermon?
Celebrate the United States’ return to full membership in the world community and create a potential award-winner. The topic this year should address “Empowering Women for a Better World.”
Send submissions by February 1 to greeleysermon @ uu-uno.org. Papers highlighting the work of the UN or the UU-UNO, or both, will enjoy priority consideration.
Questions regarding the Dana Greeley Award should be sent to greeleysermon @ uu-uno.org or call (212) 986-5165.
Watch the Greeley Award Sermon: Ethical Aspects of Climate being delivered at the 2011 UUA General Assembly in Charlotte, NC.
Please visit our website for more information about the UU-UNO and its Climate Change Initiative.
- Sermons must be the original work of the individual submitting and must not have been published previously. Though copyright of the sermon will remain the property of the preparer, the UU-UNO will have initial rights to publish and print the sermon and any further use of the sermon in print will acknowledge the UU-UNO’s Rev. DanaMcLean Greeley Sermon Competition as the source of inspiration.
- All quotations must be documented. The sermon should be 2,500 words or less.
- Submissions will be accepted electronically in Word or Adobe PDF format. The text must be typed, double-spaced, and in Times New Roman, 12pt font.
- Submissions should include a brief cover letter about the author, including contact information (telephone, mailing address, email address). Do NOT include your name on the typed pages of the sermon entered, as all entries will be judged anonymously. Do number the pages sequentially. Send submissions to greeleysermon @ uu-uno.org.
Deadline for submissions is 1 February.
For more information, read Frequently Asked Questions about the Dana Greeley Award.
For more information contact unitednations @ uua.org.
This work is made possible by the generosity of individual donors and congregations. Please consider making a donation today.
Last updated on Friday, November 30, 2012.
- Legislative Advocacy
- A People So Bold: DVD Guide
- Congregational Resolution Guide
- Congregational Stories
- Effective Congregational Programs
- Funding & Awards
- GA Presentations
- Grassroots Organizing
- Public Witness
- Social Justice Empowerment
- Young Adult Spirituality & Service
- Real Rules