You Are Here
The Dana McLean Greeley Sermon Competition
The Unitarian Universalist United Nations Office is now inviting submissions for the 2015 Dana Greeley Award! Please see submission guidelines below—the deadline for submission is Monday, February 1, 2016.
History of the Competition
Established by the Unitarian Universalist United Nations Office, this competition is inspired by Rev. Dana McLean Greeley. As the first president of the UUA, Rev. Dana McLean Greeley continues to inspire us with his dedication to peace and justice, expressed in his ministry until his death in 1986. One of the principal founders of the World Conference on Religion and Peace, he believed that strengthening the United Nations is part of our commitment to world community with peace, liberty and justice.
All Unitarian Universalists are invited to submit a sermon (or address) to the UU-UNO. The purpose of this annual award program is to encourage and to recognize Unitarian Universalists’ principles, thought and action on a wide range of global issues as well as the role of the United Nations and our own Unitarian Universalist United Nations Office. Each year, the Dana Greeley Sermon Competition theme pertains to the theme of that year's UU-UNO Intergenerational Spring Seminar. While all submissions will be considered, those highlighting the work of the United Nations and the UU-UNO will be given priority consideration.
The winner will be awarded a cash prize of $500 and have the opportunity to deliver the sermon or address at the next UUA General Assembly.
2015 Theme: International Criminal Justice: From Punitive to Restorative
- Sermons must be the original work of the individual submitting and must not have been published previously. Though copyright of the sermon will remain the property of the preparer, the UU-UNO will have initial rights to publish and print the sermon and any further use of the sermon in print will acknowledge the UU-UNO’s Rev. Dana McLean Greeley Sermon Competition as the source of inspiration.
- All quotations must be documented. The sermon should be 2,500 words or less.
- Submissions will be accepted electronically in Word or pdf format. The text must be typed, double-spaced, and in Times New Roman, 12pt font.
- Submissions should include a brief cover letter about the author, including contact information (telephone, mailing address, email address). Do NOT include your name on the typed pages of the sermon entered, as all entries will be judged anonymously. Do number the pages sequentially. Send submissions to unitednations [at] uua [dot] org.
- Content of the sermon: While all submissions will be considered, those highlighting the work of the United Nations and the UU-UNO will be given consideration. Be sure to read our mission and programs.
- Submit your sermon: unitednations [at] uua [dot] org.
Deadline for submission is February 1st, 2016.